A tool's capacity for modification may be increased by having parts made of paper, thaumium (Thaumcraft), and/or magical wood (Extra Utilities)
Paper: Adds the trait writable. Each paper part of a tool adds 1 maximum modifier. A tool made entirely of paper will have the capacity for 3 additional modifiers.
Thaumium: Adds the trait thaumic. One thaumium part adds 1 maximum modifier, however multiple thaumium parts will not add multiple maximum modifiers. However, a tool made entirely of thaumium will have the capacity for 3 additional modifiers.
Magical Wood: Adds the trait modifiable. Each magical wood part of a tool adds 1 maximum modifier. A tool made entirely of magical wood will have the capacity for 11 additional modifiers.
A tool's capacity for modification may also be increased by adding the following items or item combinations to it.
- 1 Nether Star: 1 additional modifier. May be used only once.
- 1 Diamond & 1 Block of Gold: 1 additional modifier. May be used only once.
- 1 Block of Diamond & 1 Notched Golden Apple: 1 additional modifier. May be used only once.
- 1 Creative Tool Modifier: 1 additional modifier. Obtainable only in creative mode. May be used multiple times.
All Tinker's Construct tools can be modified to allow for certain upgrades. They are listed below (and in the Materials and You book you receive in-game). Applying any of the below modifiers takes up one modifier slot, for which most tools have a default of three maximum.
- 50 Redstone: A single redstone increases the mining speed of the tool by +0.08, up to 50 redstone for +4.00 mining speed. If used on a bow, it decreases the time it takes to fully draw back the bow or crossbow. May be applied several times. (i.e. 'Haste III' or +12.00 mining speed is gained from 150 redstone, but uses three modifier slots). Crossbows can have Redstone applied until it reaches a firing speed of 0.25, at which point it can no longer be applied.
- 1 Ball of Moss: Crafted with 9x Mossy Cobblestone/Mossy Stone Brick. The tool will automatically repair (relatively slowly) itself. Can be applied once per modifier slot. Repairs quicker in sunlight (in 1.5.5dev3+, Moss has no modifier limit, eg. Moss 7 on a full paper lumber axe)
- 1 Lava Crystal: Crafted with 4x Fire Charge, 4x Blaze Rod, 1x Lava Bucket. Tools will automatically smelt the block they mine and weapons will gain Fire Aspect, with a duration of 3 seconds. It is not compatible with Silky (Silk Touch). Compatible with Fortune. Weapons will automatically cook food items dropped by animals. May only be applied once.
- 450 Lapis Lazuli: Increases the total "luck" of the tool, resulting in various levels of Fortune and/or Looting. Lapis results in the following enchants at these cutoffs: Fortune/Looting I at 100 lapis, Fortune/Looting II at 300 lapis, Fortune/Looting III at 450 lapis (max). Incompatible with Silk Touch. May be used only once.
- 72 Nether Quartz: Adds Sharpness to weapons, increasing damage to any enemy. 1 quartz = +0.5 heart. 36 quartz = +1 heart. 72 quartz (max) = +1.5 hearts. May be applied multiple times.
- 25 Blaze Powder: Adds Fire Aspect. Every 5 Blaze Powder adds 1 second to the burn duration. 25 Blaze Powder (i.e. +5.00 seconds of burn) can be added per modifier slot. May be applied multiple times.
- 1 Necrotic Bone: Makes the tool Necrotic. 0-1 heart heal on attack, it doesn't take any HP from your target. Stackable, multiple bones will increase the chance to heal and increase the maximum amount you can heal per attack. May be applied multiple times.
- 1 Silky Jewel: Adds "Silky" (Silk Touch) and decreases mining speed and weapon damage. Not Compatible with Auto-smelt or Luck. May only be used once.
- Flux: Only available if Thermal Expansion 4 is installed. Adding any Flux Capacitor or Energy Cell to a tool enables it to use energy instead of durability. Provides variable durability based on the capacitor used. The tool must have a max durability value of at least 1/1000th of the RF capacity of the capacitor being used (tuberous flux capacitors can fit on just about anything, as they have 16,000RF and so only require a mere 16 maximum durability, but they cannot be recharged). Not compatible with tools that use ammo instead of durability. May be applied only once.
- Electric: Only available if IndustrialCraft 2 is installed. Adding Electric Circuit+RE Battery to a tool enables it to use energy instead of durability. May be applied only once. (This may not work in recent versions)
- 1 Obsidian Plate: Adds the Reinforced trait to a tool, decreasing the chance a tool will take damage to durability every time it is used by 10%. Stacks with any levels of Reinforced already on the tool. Maximum of Reinforced X (10), at which point the tool is unbreakable. May be applied multiple times.
- 10 Pistons: Adds Knockback to a tool. May be applied multiple times.
- 1 Obsidian & 1 Ender Pearl: Adds Beheading (10% chance for mobs to drop their head) to a weapon. May be applied multiple times.
- 4 Fermented Spider Eyes: Adds Bane of Arthropods to a weapon. It deals 1-2 hearts more damage per level to spiders and silverfish. Incompatible with Sharpness or Smite. May be applied multiple times.
- 36 Consecrated Soil: Adds Smite to a weapon. It deals 1-2 hearts more damage per level to undead mobs, taking 36 per level. Incompatible with Sharpness or Bane of Arthropods. May be applied multiple times.
- Heads: (Mining Tools Only[With Iguana Tweaks]) Depending on Mining Level it will increase the mining level of your tool. May be applied only once.
Abilities are the inherent traits a tool has based on what material it's made from, not what modifiers it has. See Material Stats for more info.